Why would my anesthesiologist or I want me to have regional anesthesia?
- Some surgical procedures are well suited for regional blocks (i.e.- carpal tunnel release & total knee replacements).
- Certain medical conditions make a regional anesthetic a better choice than general anesthesia (i.e.- emphysema).
- Patient preference (i.e. desire to watch portions of some surgical procedures on a TV monitor)
- Avoidance of general anesthesia (i.e.- concern of postoperative nausea & vomiting)
- Avoidance of the exposure of general of anesthesia to certain body organs (i.e.- a patient with heart disease)
- Prolonged pain relief after surgery can be achieved with longer-acting anesthetics.